MPP Helps get Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Huron-Bruce Homes
Clinton- Lisa Thompson, Huron-Bruce MPP, joined Doug DeRabbie from the Insurance Bureau of Canada, Dave Renner the Fire Chief for Central Huron and Bluewater and members of the local Fire Departments this afternoon to help put more carbon monoxide detectors in local homes.
“Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in North America, but many of these tragedies can be prevented by installing a CO detector,” said Thompson.
Thompson explained that you can reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning by:
- checking to make sure vents, exhausts and chimneys are clear;
- having fuel-burning appliances serviced regularly; and
- getting a carbon monoxide detector and checking it whenever the time changes to ensure it is working.
Now, carbon monoxide alarms are mandatory in all homes in Ontario with fuel burning appliances (wood, gas, propane, oil) or attached garages or carports. Last year the Ontario Legislature passed the Hawkins Gignac Act, a private members bill introduced by PC MPP Ernie Hardeman, requiring carbon monoxide detectors in Ontario homes. The Bill was named after a Woodstock family of four that tragically lost their lives after a blocked fireplace exhaust filled the house with carbon monoxide.
“Carbon monoxide is dangerous because you can’t see it, taste it or smell it,” said Thompson. “The only way to ensure you and your family are protected is to reduce the risk of leaks and to get a detector.”
Contact: Victoria Stevenson | 647-522-8700| firstname.lastname@example.org